Friday 15 January 2016

The Group Chat Exodus Syndrome

Arjun left
Vijay left
Shwetha left
Bablu left            
Harish left
Ramesh left
Tom left
Dick left
Harry left

The above few words of unintelligible gobbledegook may initially give my readership an impression that I am either high on narcotic substances or that I have gone bonkers atleast for the nonce. But wait. Hold on! Aren’t they smacking of a rather familiar refrain that we have got accustomed to in the past couple of years?

Ah! Now you may say “Oh yeah! Now I get it. These fellows have just had it enough and thereby called it quits from some WhatsApp group”

Yup, you are absolutely spot on. I have just quoted verbatim the text impression you might have seen or envision on your mobile screen when a group of buddies create a sort of digital exodus once the purpose for the WhatsApp group has been exhausted.

But, I for one, find the above phenomenon very amusing and sometimes even a bit annoying. No, I am not questioning the rationale behind quitting. No man with a shred of sanity prevailing within will ever do so once the raison d’etre for the group’s existence ceases to exist, unless he finds it a rather convenient platform to practice soliloquy. It is the blistering speed at which the mass migration occurs, as if propelled by some high octane fuel that really peeves me!

It seems as if quitting the group first is considered a matter of prestige and honour. In the race to exit, the winner isn’t going to be awarded a medal nor or his competitors behind at close quarters going to be showered with encomiums by the press. Then why the bloody hurry??

Recently, whilst attending a pair of successive classes of some drab subject, lasting more than 3 hours at a stretch, I endured a period of unbearable ennui sitting in the first row. Finally unable to stomach it no longer, I logged onto YouTube on my mobile. Desiring some real carnivore action atleast in the virtual world, to neutralize the effects of unmitigable boredom in the real world, I watched a video titled ‘Slaughter in the Water’, where a mighty pack of ravenous crocodiles effects a gruesome carnage on scores of hapless godforsaken wildebeests when they cross the River Mara in Central Africa during the Great Migration. As the horrific bloodbath ensues, a stampede of gargantuan proportions begins midway through the crossing, where the wildebeests literally fight it out in a dog-eat-dog slugfest in an attempt to outpace each other, overcoming croc after croc till they cross the river of blood and finally climb ashore to safety. All in all, a 6 minute viewing of sheer macabre which no man with finer sensibilities would want to watch. A more-or-less similar emotion engulfs me when I see my buddies enter into a rat race to quit the WhatsApp group as if a crocodile had entered into it!

Atleast in the case of the video you get a sensation of solace and some consolatory peace to see that, though a few wildebeests met their miserable ends in the crocs bellies, most of them survived the gory ordeal. But here the very group of buddies, after going about their divergent ways enter other WhatsApp groups and start chatting away to glory. Then once the group throws in the towel, the exodus begins again and the vicious cycle continues. In other words it isn’t as if the very reason of quitting a group symbolizes the reticent persona of its members!

Recently, yours truly and a group of friends decided to dine outside in some fancy restaurant. Since many of them were supposed to join in from different destinations, I instituted a WhatsApp group to facilitate the process of coordination. The group saw a lot of activity initially with minute details such as venue, address, whereabouts of those in the intention of not replying, etc. being disseminated. In due course the 12 of us, like a jury, were seated around a huge round table licking our lips and waiting to devour the contents of our plates. But even before the order could be placed with the waiter, I chanced a look at my mobile to see 5 of the blokes already relinquish the group! Halfway through the gastronomical affair another couple had evacuated. By the time we finished and left the restaurant, another trio had called it quits, leaving me and one friend languishing rather pitifully!

I am the sort of person who typically delivers the valedictory speech in the group such as “Thanks a lot guys! Had a great time” or “Nice dinner folks. See you soon”. I perilously lurked close to being labelled as crazy when I started typing something on those lines, when my guardian angel, in the brink of time, prevented me from pressing the send button reminding me that a personal chat message to my solitary friend would suffice. I can be pushed about to some extent but certainly no further. I certainly don’t possess the wherewithal to sustain a 2 member group chat!

On several occasions, it so occurs, as in the case above that, all of us go Dutch with the result that monetary transactions, a barter of a few tenners here and there, have to be settled. This is when, those blokes who deserted the group a tad too early realize their folly, but their ego prevents them from requesting to be re-added to the group. The result - A new group that answers to the name of ‘XYZ Hotel Night Out – Expenses’ is created. After the usual rigmarole in which friendly jousts for currency exchanges are witnessed and once the accounts have been sorted out with everyone filled to the brim with absolute satisfaction like the chief exchequer which has completed a perfect clean audit of the Governments voluminous spends, another mass exodus begins and the same ruddy circle continues.

I reach home and just as I tuck into the bed, with no hurry whatsoever, I enter the various transient WhatsApp group chats I had been a part of during the day for one last time and lug myself out of solitary confinement. Before closing my eyes, my poetic mood now buzzing on all cylinders, I mentally weave out a quatrain and it goes:-

With technology in the age of millennial
Our behavioural changes have become perennial

With the spawn of the digital era
We have truly entered a world of Ephemera

2 comments:

Will the memories ever fade?

  An ouevre to my Aunt 'Janaki' – The shining star of AVR   Boisterous chatter and raucous laughter Infectious banter on occ...