Thursday 17 May 2018

Musings of a Miniature Reptile

Yet another exacting week laden with issues
Surpassed. To restore a semblance of work-life stability
I desperately sought to re-energize enervated tissues
Helped on by a night of much needed somnal tranquility

Saturday morning, contenting myself to green tea and wafers, aberrations
From my usual menu, l meditatively ambled thru the hall
Paving way for dispiriting corporate ruminations
As a crackle directed my attention towards the papery wall

First thoughts were wilted leaves withering
Outside, aftermaths of the preceding night’s blizzard
Only to realize sounds were indicative of slithering
By a squirmy little pale greened lizard

It slowly crept up behind a beetle sitting dull
Blissfully unaware of the danger lurking at heel
Seconds later ensnared by the salivating pull
Of the lizard, as it embarked on its meal

As the lizard was halfway thru the munching
Keenly scrutinizing a nearby cricket taking flight
I scornfully resumed my own brunching
Cocking an eye at the lizard pitying its plight

It must be thinking, I surmised, the poor creature
"I am pitifully left to wallow
On walled edifices, to the mercy of nature
Little insects are all that I can swallow"

"Whilst my prehistoric ancestors, now long gone
Strode like colossuses on the surface of our planet
Ruling every piece of earth they set foot upon
It's miserable that I hardly land anything in my dragnet"

"Let alone the dinosaurs", pondered the lizard
"How I wish I could for one day return to roots more native
If only there were a portly wizard
Who could transfigure me to my not-so-distant relative"

"The deadly crocodile that infests rivers
Commands fear and awe from one and all
Indisputable fluvial emperor, sight of which sends shivers
Down the spine", mused the drop of crocodile on the wall

"Neither do I have the enviable agility
To glide and grab the far-off prey without a pause
Nor the resources, wherewithal or capability
To rip apart the hapless game with fanged maws"

"Leave aside the crocodile too, perhaps a shade too Utopian
At the least, I deserve something akin to my elder cousins
The Rupestrine Iguana or the Arboreal Chameleon, not a Dystopian
Reality - Relegation to the dregs of residential dustbins"

"Thankfully, regards my appetite I won’t inveigh
To the mysteries of evolution I will kowtow
A beetle a day keeps the doctor away
Suffices to serve as my living motto"

"All in all, of my existence, there isn't a fraction
Of awe-worthiness, except my walled perambulation
Courtesy Van Der Waals forces of attraction
If that’s a mere ounce of consolation"

The miniature reptile thus concluding cogitations in darkness
Sluggishly moved towards its zone of twilight
Snuggling comfortably in the dampness
Of the ramparts adjoining the flickering tubelight

Beneath the light, on a chair, four feet below
Nibbling the last of wafers, picking an apple
I sat, sighing, turning a despondent fellow
Staring bleakly ahead at the tribulations dispensed by life to grapple

Take the lizard’s case, I mused, effusing sympathy
"It considers its life as a rootless existence", I concluded in a gist
Exuding a virtuoso exhibition of reptilian telepathy
Which might have aroused the interests of any herpetologist

Inwardly though on self-introspection practically
I couldn’t but help feel the passing of identical themes
Of Self-pity gripping me not so antithetically
To that of the lizard's on absence of life in more exalted realms

We Indians, aren’t too different, aspersions  
Cast apart, we too were mighty rulers, with no close match
Falling eventual prey to divisive strategies of foreign incursions
Presenting a deplorable sight, slowly building from scratch

First the Greeks followed by The Arabs, The Mughal
Empire, and lately yet most impactfully, the Europeans, the prime invader
Plundered us, looting the country and its people of wealth so regal
Upshot of the rapacity - Our Esteem, Pride and honour plummeted rungs down the ladder

For the lizard atleast the evolutionary harbinger
Was purely biological, it needn’t suffer pangs of guilt
To Darwinism it rightfully will point its finger,
Unlike us men whose own fate, block by block we built

Nevertheless today as it remains destined
Pandering to indulgences of Mutual condolence
Human and reptilian fates remain intertwined
Nobody gives a bloody tuppence

On a note thus melancholic and near lachrymal
Two hearts now beating as one, to the lizard, my hat I doffed,
When rudely interrupted by my British Boss, I stopped waxing lyrical
The slave in me awoke, answered the phone and courteously coughed

Servitudinal remnants from the evening before, carefully canned overnight
Were back at the grand old stand again working with all their might

2 comments:

  1. Man i'm speechless. Its brilliant dude! Had to keep a dictionary handy though :P
    How long have you been working on this?

    ReplyDelete
  2. LOL thanks bro. It came in about an hour. Anything you wrote lately?

    ReplyDelete

Will the memories ever fade?

  An ouevre to my Aunt 'Janaki' – The shining star of AVR   Boisterous chatter and raucous laughter Infectious banter on occ...