Tuesday 10 September 2019

Lepidoptera


I was zooming on the highway
Squeezing every penny out of a frazzled speedometer
Ruling the road to me, was child’s play
Sanctimoniously brushing aside lesser cars and many an inferior driver
In quest of destiny, I zipped along
Not caring two hoots about my travelling competitors next door
I don’t blame myself, it is in a common world we belong

A feisty SUV, drew up by my side
Giving me a death stare and edged forward, with a twerk
Summoning up all the blood lust, taking hurt on my pride
I curvetted notoriously, applying dexterous wristwork
Stepping on the gas and pipping the hapless vehicular bystander
And took charge of the road again
Flouting every single lane rule in the book, I admit in candour

With all the road to myself and in cruise control
Enduring a period of fleeting ennui, I turned to music
To smoothen my nerves and soothen my soul
And to start my usual cogitations, just seemed to be politic
As an army of butterflies arrived in fizzing fashion
In swarm after swarm, providing instant fodder for thought
And to set the philosophical mood buzzing in passion

The fluttering butterflies, spread their area of coverage
Having a go at the milkweed, their primary creed
Traversed towards the rich pasturage
On either side, of the perilous crossing of human greed
As car after car, drove through the swarm of razzmatazz
Delicate smashing ensued, as coloured confetti Paper sprinkled
From above, tattooing the little corpses onto the welcoming glass

After massacring several more and once the hundredth had died
With a semblance of conscience and a soupcon of queasiness setting
In, I pulled over the car onto the side
To take stock of the yellowed smattering
Peering over the vitreous landscape
Like a seasoned lepidopterist
As a few winged friends, tunnelled through the door left agape

Marking respect to the ones that were no longer with us
I carefully picked up the little bodies and deposited them in zip lock covers,
Alongside one of their brethren, waving to be plucked, a lone hibiscus
To be united while laid to rest forever, best friends – Butterflies and flowers
Was the least I could do, as a paltry self-assumed absolution
From the sins I had thus committed
As I tottered towards the vehicle of decimation

Back in the driver’s seat I couldn’t help but ruminate
What if humans, like the butterflies, though different conspecifics
Bonded together by a closely intertwined fate
Eventually become undone by one of nature’s malevolent tricks
However ominous maybe the aftermath
It is not a thought altogether to be relinquished
That we would be the culmination of nature’s ultimate wrath

Imagine a tethered astronomical object light years away
Let suddenly loose from cosmic captivity
Ferally hurtling through a vortex in search of its prey
Pale-Blue-Dot-wards in search of a galactical destiny
Be it a comet, a meteorite or an asteroid
Perhaps a similar fate of the butterfly, which isn’t a distant possibility
Awaits us, but till then my friend, preserve your Sang Froid

Atleast the butterflies served a loftier purpose
The pollinators, to keep the food chain intact work round the clock
Also serving as climate change battlers, unlike the scrofulous human circus
Which immutably drugged by avarice of lust, fame and ambition, continues to flock
Towards unplacatable desires and unquenchable thirsts
My long jeremiad never looking to surcease
Manifests occasionally into futile outbursts

As panglossian hopes of melioristic redemption lay tattered
The thought of Armageddon isn’t so out of place
Like the butterflies, if one day a shattered earth lay scattered
And countries and oceans were catapulted into outer space
Redeeming Homo sapiens from this unruly farce
That is one less planet for the universe to worry about
But atleast then would retrograde humans become one among the stars

Thumbs up to the winged green thumbs!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Will the memories ever fade?

  An ouevre to my Aunt 'Janaki' – The shining star of AVR   Boisterous chatter and raucous laughter Infectious banter on occ...