Sunday 1 April 2018

The Gear Grind Scroll Part # 1: The Whistleblowing Over-Zealous Vehicular Guardian


The Gear Grind Scroll

Everyone's brain works more or less in a similar fashion. Involuntarily all our life we keep thinking all the time of some damn thing or the other. At any point of time, a good hundred thoughts enter the cerebral cortex, are processed and let out of the other end. But writers as a class stand out from the rest by doing something different. When the cognitive processing happens, the roster is scanned, a few of them are picked, gripped by the collarbone, marshalled and finally sentenced to death. The paper is the gallows, pen the accommodative hangman and death is nothing but the output that comes out in the form of ink. 

The shrewd one of the reading lot may nonchalantly observe "The ones that don’t come out in ink, come out through speech or action". To him pace I say "My dear chappie, I never denied that. Say what you want, but we writers are still a class above the rest. I honestly don’t have an explanation to back up my claim on the written word's pre-eminence over the spoken one. Probably I fancy myself as a writer more than an aspirational humourist who wishes to jump on to the Stand-up Comedy Bandwagon that has become a sort of new cultural rage in the country, and a new career option to pursue in the last couple of years. Only time will tell if it’s a mere fad or here to stay. Anyway if you are interested to know, lie low and read below".

On this poetic note, as already promised in one of my earlier memoirs, certain unformatted ruminations aided and abetted by my panache for adjectival felicity are soon to take shape in the form of literary output. 

What I choose to pen down this time, are some of my causal irritants. Certain behavioural and habitual tendencies of Indians, some on a daily basis, that I am forced to put up with. I will take the liberty to generalize my statement by tweaking it as 'We all are forced to put up with'.  But please note that there is only a certain amount of latitude for my tolerance. Mind you once the threshold is breached….Beware. !

"What will you do if the threshold is breached, rather for that matter what can you do?" enquires another bird sardonically. Well as a matter of fact, nothing! Indians will never change. You can scream your poor heart out from the rooftop but nothing is going to change. People will be the same.

The bottomline is as simple as that. What you are complaining about now is what you will probably complain when you turn 75. Well in that case, atleast let me use this a platform to let out some of the steam, if that’s a small consolation I can derive out of it!

So one-by-one I will start offloading my pet peeves that adorn the scroll of parchment.

Chapter 1: The Whistle Blowing Over-Zealous Vehicular Guardian
When at the wheel, and nearing journeys end in the basement of an establishment – Office, Mall, Friends Apartment Complex, Shopping Complex etc. the last thing you want is to be heckled into bringing your car to a stop at a dedicated spot which is decided by the chap in charge of vehicular control at the spot. Let us take office for example. Every day when I make the curvilinear descent into B-3 or B-4 as the previous two levels are always packed to the brim with diligent office-goers and also attributable to the fact that it is well into afternoon as I work in the EU timezone, the security guy who was otherwise sitting on a plastic chair in a  sort of surfeited trance (probably after loading in his daily luncheon calories), jerks into a fit of violent spasm, as he sights my car rounding up, and nearly breaks the world record for the sitting high jump! The next thing that happens is the whistle which was hanging on his neck automatically shifts to his lips, and he starts whistling away to glory. As such I have no objection to his whistling, so I ignore it and seek the nearest open parking space and place my car. But what piques me to the dickens is what follows next. The fellow nears you, settles there and cocks an eyeball at you luridly while patiently waiting you to disembark. I don’t know if he felt insulted that I ignored his whistle, but I don’t care. I didn’t make any mistake. I see there are many open parking spaces and find one to lodge my car. So I gather my bag and get out. The mistake every amateur basement car-parker would do is to look back at him and have a word if everything is ok. The minute you do that god bless your soul! He (the security guy) will start an essay stating a hundred reasons why he (the car driver) should not park in that designated parking slot. Either he says the car behind you won't have enough space to manoeuvre itself out, or the car in front won't have the bandwidth to reverse, or that his car is a trifle too close for comfort that the passenger seat of the car in the juxtaposed car can't be opened. In other words, to me it seems as if he needs to show that he is not just a normal security guy who assists in car parking but that he goes over and above his duty in ensuring that the quality of car parking has met ISO standards. No good to man or beast. Period. In reality, the best course of action with both parties is to main an air of respectable reticence and life would go on as usual. The car behind me will manoeuvre itself out, without any issues like the way it has been doing the rest of the 364 days of the year, the car infront of you will have acres of space to reverse and tool away, and the chap going to take the honorary seat of the passenger car adjacent will probably not even notice that there is a red colored Swift next door. With experience, I have learned that the best approach is to simply ignore his presence and walk away. Es'chewing the fat', the trick helps! If you got the pun :-) 


No comments:

Post a Comment

Will the memories ever fade?

  An ouevre to my Aunt 'Janaki' – The shining star of AVR   Boisterous chatter and raucous laughter Infectious banter on occ...